Saturday, September 4, 2010

Artistic Biscuits: Artist's Statement

I've been devastated for the past few months, maybe longer, by what I consider a state of artistic paralysis. I have sketchbooks of all shapes and sizes, but for the most part, they remain empty, even when I carry at least one of them with me at all times. I've tried switching from pencil to pen, from plain paper to Canson, and still: pages as naked as a jaybird.

I have, however, been notably creative in instituting obstacles and excuses for my lack of output:

I have to clean the apartment first.
I'm getting off in four stops.
I'm not having a good drawing day.
I just can't draw anymore. (part one)
Maybe I could never draw? (part two)
I can't think of a thing on Earth to draw.

I've always loved to cook, never resisting the temptation to alter a recipe to my whimsy. The other day, while concocting a recipe for biscuits with cracked pepper and Muenster cheese, (here's my recipe, which I photographed and posted on animator Jene Wallace's food blog, Fill The Belly) I recognized an artistic rush, similar to how I feel when I achieve "the spark of magic" on a pencil drawing that qualifies it as particularly remarkable.

What's magical and liberating about art is that it can manifest itself in any form; a simple statement, but one I forget all too easily. To be art doesn't necessarily mean to be made of oil, marble, metal, or any of the other traditional materials you can buy at an over-priced art shop.

So, I've decided to start a new "series": The Artistic Biscuit Project. Each recipe will be inspired by something, for example: a word, historical reference or figure, holiday, etc. If they are delicious, I will say so. If they are disgusting, I will also say so. If you choose to make any using my recipes, please give me your feedback!

5 comments:

  1. I've been devastated for the past few months, maybe longer, by what I consider a state of artistic paralysis.

    Er...didn't you just make a BABY? That's kind of an important detail I think. The generative spirit can only do so many things at once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elliot. And, Nina, you're right, of course, but isn't it the nature of artists to beat themselves up over these things? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The biscuit blog is pure Linda -- artistic, literate, whimsical, historical with a touch of advocacy and accompanied with musical and video selections, all mixed and baked into something esoteric enough it could come from nobody else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never cease to amaze me! I'm very proud of you! Of course, Roy will have to try the recipes.

    ReplyDelete